Tuesday, April 19, 2005

quandairy - we all scream

it seemed to me that everyone had ice cream on the brain today. three different coworkers left the office in search of it (granted, i work with middle-aged women so it's not that unusual), and then, bananners and i were sitting there after lunch contemplating our unsatisfied hunger and our conversation went a little like this:
bananners: i'm still hungry.
me: me too. i am kinda in the mood for ice cream.
bananners: ice cream good mmm...
me: good yeah mmm. there's that stone cold creamery place i suppose.
bananners (making face): it's not very good, it's overpriced.
me: yeah, i heard that.
bananners: yeah.
me: too bad that ben & jerry's on chicago closed. it closed, right?
bananners: yeah.

me: too bad.
bananners: it closed a long time ago.

me: too bad.
imagine my surprise when i returned to my desk to find the following email from todd the bod:
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:55:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Scream
To: "gwendolyn p."

> If ya didn't know, today is free scoop day at Ben and
> Jerry's.
>
> I recommend Oatmeal Cookie. I know what you're
> thinking: "I don't really like oatmeal cookies. And
> 'cinnamon ice cream' doesnt sound that good." Well
> stop listening to your brain and start listening to
> ME. Get it.
>
> todd
>
> --
> GET OFF THE INTERNET!
todd does not tell a lie (though he'll obnoxiously correct your spelling of the word "quandary" at the drop of a hat)--april 19th is free scoops day 2005, the 27th annual free cone day to be exact. did you notice how he mentioned the brain and ice cream?

his essay alludes to the clearly misguided notion that the consumption of ice cream, and one might presume that misconception encompasses all dairy products, is somehow in conflict with the exercising of intellectual powers. we must work to overcome these assumptions, as time and time again a direct link between a diet high in dairy and superior intelligence has clearly been demonstrated, or has it...
We didn't find any Web pages matching the following criteria:
  • Containing this query term: "dairy and intelligence"
Suggestions:- Check your spelling.
- Try more general words.
- Try different words that mean the same thing.
- Broaden your search by using fewer words.

but i digress, the point of today's post is that everyone was thinking about ice cream, and while some people might note that it was the first warm day in awhile, i've got my own theories. and sadly yesterday the owner of the first dairy queen in wisconsin passed away.
APPLETON — Merlin Liebzeit of Appleton, the owner of the first Dairy Queen in Wisconsin, died Monday. He was 84.

He opened the state’s first Dairy Queen June 4, 1950, at 2000 S. Oneida St. in Appleton. Liebzeit’s second Dairy Queen, on N. Richmond Street, opened Aug. 29, 1953. Nationally, the first Dairy Queen opened in Joliet, Ill., in 1940. Liebzeit is survived by his wife, Erna, two sons and two daughters. His son Steven continues to run the Dairy Queens in Appleton.
merlin! how magical and how tragic, but i think a little bit of his passion was released into the ether and perhaps we're all a little bit sweeter today for it. may he rest in peace, and i'll be pouring out a melted quart for him tonight.

i can only take heart that we have the next generation to look to as beacons of light in these seemingly dark times. the torch will burn bright.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that that Conservative Ice Cream exists, despite the fact that I would probably disagree with its politics. But how could you possibly talk politics over a smooth, creamy pint of the good stuff?

Anonymous said...

For someone who is proud of her pedantry, you sure are grouchy about having your spelling politely corrected. It seems you cant take it, but you sure can dish it out (note the ice cream allusion).

Why did you take all the post-punctuation mark spaces out of my perfectly lovely emissive?

todd

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.... I have ben & jerry's oatmeal cookie ice(d) cream in my freeze right now...

G

WendyBuckWild said...

don't you mean demissive, todd...
hahahaha, get it?

i think the punctuation just removed itself from the situation.

thanks for the tip on the rubs, and for supplying the answer to the trivia question for me, that was tops.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...

WendyBuckWild said...

too bad.

Anonymous said...

Demissive? I'm afraid I do not get it. Did you get emissive? Yes, yes... of course you did.

Boy, I sure love finding new ways to correspond with you via the internet. Email, chat, Friendster messages, spam, evites, salon personals, slash fiction, and now bloggery. I'm dismayed that heretofore you havent dazzled me with ASCII art or a craigslist Missed Connections ad.

todd